Summer Abroad

Working in orphanages and churches senior Hailey Droge spends summer in Mbale, Uganda

Tia Munoz and Mia Osier

Most teens spend their whole summer laying back and relaxing. Senior Hailey Droge spent hers helping others. Droge got the opportunity to travel to Mbale, Uganda for ten days this July.

“My aunt and uncle, they run a non profit called Kings Kids Africa, and so they have some orphanages down there and they invited me to go with them,” Droge said.

According to Kingskidsafrica.org,  there is an estimated 2.5 million orphans currently living in Uganda, and many of the kids’ biggest struggle is being prepared for living on their own after they age out of their orphanage. Kings Kids Africa is hoping to change that.

Their main goal is to glorify and honor God by caring for his children in East Africa. They want kids to have a loving home and church family. Droge played a big part in making this happen while she was there.

“So I went to the orphanages, and interacted with the children. I also helped out with some churches down there. We did this thing called hut to hut evangelism, so we would go a mile away from the church and tell people the gospel,” Droge said.

Kings Kids Africa has big things planned for this year. They want to collaborate with other local churches to build two orphan homes in rural Uganda. The organization already has plans laid out for the future as well. They want to have ten homes, five schools, which include primary, secondary, and trade, and three churches all built by 2025.

Droge enjoyed the trip so much that she’s already planning on going back and even wants to take others with her.

“It just opened up my eyes so much. Living here, you could never experience anything like that,” Droge said.

By: Tia Munoz and Mia Osier