Chicago Trip

Laurel Padilla and Bryce Cook

Most students complain about not having enough field trips. But on Halloween, 2 school groups of the Journalism Department and the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) left for Chicago taking 19 students and 3 teachers in total.

The journalism staff got the opportunity to attend the National High School Journalism Convention for four days.

“You learn a lot, you get to see new places, and you get to go with your friends. I recommend it,” senior, Alondra Retana said.

Students were able to explore the city and visit The Bean, Skydeck, The Art Institute of Chicago, Shedd Aquarium, The Navy Pier and also were able to visit authentic Chicago restaurants. The knowledge they learned was brought back to share with other students involved in journalism.

All students and Mrs. Jeni Daley were focused on improving this years yearbook while Mr. Jacob Tapia attended video broadcast sessions at the convention. “The school has TV’s all over the place that don’t get used, so we want to start a broadcast channel ran by students on those TV’s. That was my main focus on going,” Mr. Tapia said.

Mr. Tapia hopes in the near future for a video broadcasting class for announcements, news, and the lunch menu. Students would take over school news instead of the office announcements everyday.

Students from the FBLA club also went to Chicago for a National Leadership Convention which is held somewhere new every year. They learned about new opportunities, recruiting new members, volunteer chances, and how to help the school’s atmosphere.   

FBLA stayed at the Hilton hotel along the Magnificent Mile where the convention was held. They also got to vist The Bean and explore.

“I would recommend it to anyone else, it’s a really cool trip and super relaxed. We got to design the trip around what we really wanted to do,” president, senior, Grace Mlynek said.

Both trips were very successful for the Journalism Department and FBLA students. The future of our schools news and the school’s community atmosphere was impacted from this trip. Students brought back valuable information and a new drive for success.