Alumni Reflects on Scholarship Experience

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jordan Tice

My name is Jordan Tice and I am a 2015 graduate from Shawnee Heights. After high

school my plans were to immediately head to college to start toward a higher degree, but

finances made it hard for me to decide if I could go where I wanted or where it was affordable

since I was one of the first in my family to go to college. Scholarships and financial aid were the

only way that I would be able to go to the school I wanted, the University of Kansas. In the fall, I

began attending KU with the intent to graduate with a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Chemical

Engineering, which was only possible because I applied for outside scholarships.

In 2015, I applied for a KU outside scholarship, and I was one of ten winners for the

HIxson Opportunity Award. This scholarship is for future KU students who faced personal

challenges or financial hardships that could ultimately lower their chances of going to college.

The Hixson Opportunity Award pays for approximately half of the student’s tuition at the

University of Kansas. Not only does this scholarship give financial help, but it also connects

students with different programs around campus. Programs such as free tutoring each

semester, a member of TRIO SES – a supportive education group that sets students up with

advisors that can help with finances and help in classes, volunteer work and the Hixson

Scholars Seminar specifically for the freshmen scholarship recipients. This scholarship allowed

me to attend KU at a much more affordable rate which is why I think it is so important that high

school students take advantage of outside scholarships. Writing an essay is a much smaller

price to pay than college tuition.