A Whole New League

Colton Thompson, staff

For the 2018-2019 season, Shawnee Heights will be joining the United Kansas Conference (UKC). On May 1, the board voted 4-3 to allow Heights to join in with five other schools in creating a new league. The new league will include Heights, Basehor-Linwood, De Soto, Lansing, Leavenworth and Kansas City-Turner.

“Ever since I have been here, there has always been talk of creating or joining a new 5A league,” Athletic Director, David Wonnell said. “However, I never really gave it a lot of serious consideration because there never appeared to be any real interest in it until this last school year.” The league was made with the goal to play more equal competition for sports. With some 6A schools in the Centennial league being nearly double the size of Heights, it can be difficult for the T-Birds to compete with these larger schools. However, there will still be competition in the UKC.

“We will be facing tough competition in the new league. There is not enough respect given to the schools in the new league and their level of competition,” Wonnell said. Wonnell also plans to schedule good competition outside the league from schools in the Centennial League and outside of it.

“I think it’s a good opportunity to play new teams and see new competition, we’ll be able to get higher seeds and it will give us a better chance to go further in state for all sports,” Junior Tyce Brown said.